Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Blinged Out Pumpkins

I was scrolling through craft pictures during Halloween season in 2010 and came upon some awesome Martha Stewart pumpkins all decked out and sparkly. She had actually glittered larger pumpkins. Knowing that glitter can be quite expensive, I bought a few of those mini pumpkins and decided to bling those bad boys out! All I would need is the glitter.

I sent my boyfriend (now EX) to the craft store to find some. He came back with the actual Martha Stewart glitter pumpkin kit. I'm not a big fan of buying an all-inclusive kit. I find them to be overpriced, the supplies to be not-enough for more than a couple of projects, and I like picking out my own colors and varieties rather than someone from some manufacturing company deciding what I should like.

With that being said, however, I was quite impressed with the quality of this particular kit. It came with a container of thick, pasty "glitter glue" that you had to dilute with some warm water. I was just going to use regular white glue, but found this glitter glue to be a lot better when working with the glitter. It didn't run, it dried fairly quickly, and it set fast enough once the glitter was applied.

The glitter itself was fantastic. It was a fine grade, the colors in this particular kit were unique and deep, and the results where quite remarkable! If you MUST buy a kit such as this, don't order from the website. (Martha charges an arm and a leg, and the shipping charges are ridiculous.) Go to your nearby craft store, and print out a coupon before you buy anything. Weekly coupons usually take 40%-50% off regular retail prices. This kit was bought at AC Moore.

The pumpkins lasted through New Years. I made them a couple of weeks before Halloween.


Materials:
Mini Pumpkins
Martha Stewart Glitter Glue (kit)
Martha Stewart Glitter (kit)
Craft paint brushes (for the glue)

No comments:

Post a Comment